Monday, November 06, 2006

Life Changing Diagnosis

Ok... here it is.

I think I am a "Supertaster" someone with more tastebuds than the normal person. I first heard about this on Oprah (yeah yeah I know, everyone shut up) and it could mean the redemption of my entire crazy eating life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

an excerpt: As a whole, supertasters are less likely to enjoy and thus consume certain foods, although individual supertasters can certainly enjoy and consume these foods. Documented examples for either preference or consumption include:
Alcoholic beverages
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
Coffee
grapefruit juice
green tea
kale
spinach
soy products

I can honestly say that I have tried and do not like ANY of the things on that list.

Dr. Oz from Oprah... a DOCTOR people... said that if you are a supertaster you simply have to be taking a multi-vitamin because you're never going to like fruits and vegetables enough to be able to consume the right amount.

I am probably not the super highest supertaster on the planet - but I think that this could have some serious root! It would mean I'm not just crazy and stubborn and rudely picky.

I'll let you know what the self-test confirms.

2 comments:

Dave said...

You have an increased number of fungiform papillae. Heh heh.

Ada said...

You are fungiform papillae difficient. Try to feel like a virile man now... go ahead... try...