Wednesday, June 22, 2011

With Great Love Comes Great Responsibility

Of course I know Poppa already knows that.

But it's important for me to remember just how much everything we say matters to the little ones that love us so much matters; Reverberates in their little brilliant minds.

Poppa helped Abby get back into swim class for the first time yesterday in a while. And he must have said something to the effect "Abby! You swim like a fish!"

When I walked in the door it was the first thing Abby told me.

As she's dancing around the room and sits on Steve's lap - Abby asked him if she'd already told him what Poppa had said.

When she saw Gramma the next day it was the first thing Abby related.

Each time with piping voice, pride and a touch of shyness.

According to the psychologists just repeating "I LOVE YOU" becomes a desensitized intangible sort of thing. We're supposed to be specific, relevant, individual to the child and situation and it feeds their confidence like sunlight.

Well, I think you struck a chord Poppa.

No comments: