Thursday, August 24, 2006

Disregarding Ephesians...

Things I'm going to do (in no particular order) when Steve's name carries power.... Not that his name doesn't already strike fear into the hearts of man. But I mean the sort of power that association with him (marriage for example) can get books published.

Get my mom's art published
Get my mom & my art published
Get my photos published
Hire someone to learn how to burn fudge just right
Buy a house with a guest cottage for my mom
Write 'the' book with Sandra
Donate significant funds to IJM/our missionary friends
Buy new shoes
Pay someone to take care of the cat's litter
Get professional artsy pictures of the family (both our little unit and extended)
Get my leg hair lasered off
Bribe Psych show to make little romance thing work/last
Get my dad a dance studio
Get season tickets to EVERYTHING
Share season tickets to EVERYTHING
Whiten my teeth (embarrassing, but true)
Have my hair blown dry every week
Have someone organize my closets
Force Cheerios and Instant Breakfast not to change their formulas ever again


more to come...

*Ephesians Reference: I love Ephesians because I think it is so easy to think: 'Oh if only I had [fill in the blank] I'd be happy. I'd be content.' So I love the reminder that we're human - nothing is ever enough - we toil and worry about things that will pass on to the next generation who can never understand exactly why or how we toiled and then the same thing will happen to them. If we get a house we want a larger one or a nicer one or one in a different neighborhood or with a back yard. If we have children we worry about their manners and development and health and future and salvation. Nothing is ever going to be enough. Contentment comes from Christ and Christ alone. That said... I don't think it's wrong to dream. After all, I believe God has success in store for Steve because I believe He has blessed Steve with talent and has been preparing him for years. Therefore, it's perfectly prudent to prioritize what I'd want to do when it happens. Don't you think?

4 comments:

Dave said...

Reading your post reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother-in-law in which he essentially told me that he had come to accept that he woould be in debt the rest of his life. And my first thought was, NO! Don't think that - wait until I hit it big, then I'll take care of you guys. But I couldn't say that aloud. Dreaming is a hard thing to give up on...

Dave said...

By the by, if I ever do hit it big I'll pay to have your leg hair lasered off too.

Ada said...

I think I'm going to cry that is the best gift ever. I was thinking of you while writing this too - about working on Simpsons and Futurama and Spongebob - seriously the most impressive resume I can think of ... and thinking that while you may not have the mansion on the hill yet - you have already 'made it big'. Leg hair is just the next stop on a long line of successes.

Ada said...

p.s. Steve says if he makes it big first he'll buy you a condo in Palm Springs...




*snicker*